RegisterLogin with Google+

Concentration Training.

This is especially for the purpose of helping those who love meditations to get the best out of them.

The effectiveness of a meditation depends on our level of concentration. During a meditation one is dealing with energies. Those energies follows the lines that thoughts create. the “Awaking chakras exercice Step 1” for example. The prana energies will move from the coccyx’s to the head, because it follows the thinking of “something is moving in our back”. Energies are always gathered where there’s a concentration, and in many spiritual exercises you will be required a quite high level of concentration. This is why a concentration training would be needed. The training exercises I’m suggesting below has no other purpose but to help the brain to learn how to focus, so one can do this anytime he/she feels like it.

The counting numbers in the mind.

We count from 10 to 30 and from 30 to 10 slowly and 3 times.
1time = 10 to 30 and from 30 to 10.
Have a paper and a pen(pencil) next to you. and while counting, if you jump a number or no longer remember the order of numbers, take note of that, and just keep counting. At the end check your note to see how many time you’ve lost your concentration. Any thought that comes between the counting must be noted as a loose of concentration. From that note, you should know where you stand in your concentration level. Then work out to reduce the number of interaptions.

Concentration training with sounds

Focus on your ears, on sounds.
Look for the loudest sound of the environment. If you are in a room, be alert to any loudest sound that occur. There are always sounds where we are, catch the loudest you can spot, usually those are every new sound in your room, like door slamming, a car passing by, a child screaming next door, telephone ringing somewhere etc. Focus on that sound until you catch a new one then focus on the new one, if there’s no more sounds, just stay alert, try to search for them in that silence. If you are at work, a busy environment, there sure are lots of sounds, so you should be catching a lot of sounds, there’s going to be a louder sound then the one you are currently earning, so do your best to catch it. Do this for about 5mins then do the reserve, I mean catch the lowest sound of the environment, ignore all the loudest sound, do your best not to be distracted by any other sound but the slowest ones, Do this for 5mins. The challenge here to try and do the whole exercise for 10min without being distracted.

Have Fun.

If you have some cool concentration techniques you’ve used and that worked for you, please add it to the list.
A meditation is a trip to the space between the sun and earth. Where there is No days no nights, no noise, no rain, no wind, no earth force of attraction, but just peace, just light, just silence, just freedom. Would you Join me in this trip?

M. Krya
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
commentsComments / Replies (7)
Thanks Krya, I really like it .
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
I like writing a few inspirational phrases on a peace of paper and loudly repeat them over and over until my mind is completely overwhelmed by such an endless repetition and has no choice but to shut off any other preoccupation it had and concentrate on the idea on the table.

As far as I know, this has always worked for me, I don't know if it will work for others.
"To love is to be".
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
Nice...
I think it could work for some other people too. I use kind of the same method when I catch myself thinking endlessly about a worry. Because I can't stop the mind by force when it's already making so much noise, I rather change topic. I say to myself : "Since you (my mind) do not want to stop thinking, I won't stop you, but I have something more important for you to worry about, so what would you think about Eternity? "

So that way I switch the nature of my thoughts for some time ; which makes just another way of shutting off all other useless preoccupation of the my mind; (concentration on a specific topic).
A meditation is a trip to the space between the sun and earth. Where there is No days no nights, no noise, no rain, no wind, no earth force of attraction, but just peace, just light, just silence, just freedom. Would you Join me in this trip?

M. Krya
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
Dear Krya,

thanks for your concentration techniques...

i'll practice it before my vipassana...

most of time i see that out of my 1 hour anapana pracctice only for 5 min i am able to concentrate on my breathings...

i feel it will be a helping tool in sitting with awearness on the bank of "river of thoughts" in mind..

lot of love..

Ashok
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
Hello Ashok,
It is wise what you are trying to do, starting with some anapana sita so you can deeply get into vipanasa.
You can combine the counting technique (I've posted) with anapana sita. That means you can count your breathing, and if you get lost in counts because of wondering thoughts, you start the counting again from 1. A 5min of breath counting is a fare successful anapana

Going through the different steps of concentration is very good for those who want to be able to meditate deeply.
Anapana is good start, anapana is not actually a concentration on thoughts but on breath. breathing motions (breath in and out) are related to thought motions (making thoughts and receiving them). Anapana practice is then based on the following " Who can control and watch his/her breathing, can control and watch his thoughts. ". Once we can easily do an anapana for 5 or 10 mins, we can successfully concentrate on thoughts using mindfulness, vipassana or za-zen techniques.

M. Krya
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
Greetings, Krya, in Love and Light.

Would you agree that before one can access the power of the mind in purposeful meditation (as compared with passive meditation) it is desirable first to relax the physical awareness , i.e. muscular and central nervous systems, to the degree of physical unawareness. If you do so agree, would you be willing to share the technique you employ for this purpose?
I have used a mind control technique (i.e. without substance assistance which I deplore) for many years but, recently, I find it less easy to slip into that state and wonder if a change of practice might facilitate access to the appropriate level.
Should you wish to continue this more confidentially, do you have access to Skype. Perhaps email me at [email protected]

Let Love and Light Be.
Moon Bear Speaks, Kindling Fire.
I am a Spiritual Being having a Human Experience
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
Quote:it is desirable first to relax the physical awareness , i.e. muscular and central nervous systems, to the degree of physical unawareness

I do agree with that. Concentration is easily attained when only one centre of awareness in the brain is active to focus, while the rest are completely relaxed. Most centers are active at active (walking) waves when we are constantly moving I.e walking, moving hands or fingers … When there is no more physical motions for a certain time, the brain goes into the alpha state, meaning that the centers of the brain are now relaxed, this is what we commonly call sleep.

Energies on our body follows where our attention goes. Energies are split (shared) across many brain centers when we are physically active, while it is focused in only one center of attention when we are physically calm. So Yes I do agree.

However, with few experiences, I learned there are other possibilities. When I started training for concentrations, I didn’t go the traditional way of calming body, muscles, . Or maybe because I felt naturally relaxed enough to jump straight to business Smile . My thing had always been to simply seat down in a comfortable position (a position in which I won’t feel no leg or arm or back pain), and start focusing on something substile. Something which has nothing to do with my body at all ( no awareness on my breathing, on my muscles, nothing like that). I kept the focus mental. meaning I focused on either a spiritual topic, or a mystic symbol or image mentally. I realized that a strong focus on the nonphysical things drove my consciousness away from earth (from physical awareness).

This has been proven in our everyday, when sometimes you were so thinking about something with eyes fully open, looking at a bird flying by for example, you didn’t really see that bird, I mean you were unaware that a bird was there. So even if your eyes were physically active blinking and looking, you were not seeing things because you were too focus on a nonphysical thing. In such cases it can also occur that you don’t even hear anything no more at that moment, although there are noises.

When I was still a small boy at school, I used to be hit hard by my teacher, I was a bit too silly not learning my lessons Smile, the hitting was so often that I developed a way to live with it. While the teacher was beating me, I run away in my head, focused on something philosophical ( questions about life in general), there I noticed I felt less pain. It became a bearable pain. That was my way of shutting down the common centers of the brain.

This is why to strengthen my concentration further, I chose to exercise in the most uncomfortable conditions. In the middle of noises, in the bus, in the train, in the growd, even while standing or walking, eyes open. Today almost no condition is a disturbance . Well, just don’t make a gunshot noise, that will surely disturb me Smile .

M. Krya
[-]
  •
Share this post on :