RegisterLogin with Google+

Modern Magick

Hi Guys. I have been reading a book titled 'Modern Magick' by Donald Michael Kraig. I have incorporated some of the ritual material in to my own repertoire and have achieved results. However, I have a instinctual disagreement (for lack of a better word) on some of the other content. I have no facts to make my 'disagreement' valid , only instinct telling me to place a question mark on these specific content. Also, the author empathically states  that he is not in agreement with Alister Crowley on some of the specifics, yet the content of the book and the rituals described therein is heavily laced with a Crowley influence. I am not trying to judge any source of information or person, just trying to make sense of my thoughts on this matter.  Any comments???  Please note, I have placed the same question on other occult related groups as well.
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
(05-19-2020, 10:00 PM)LizardKing Wrote: Hi Guys. I have been reading a book titled 'Modern Magick' by Donald Michael Kraig. I have incorporated some of the ritual material in to my own repertoire and have achieved results. However, I have a instinctual disagreement (for lack of a better word) on some of the other content. I have no facts to make my 'disagreement' valid , only instinct telling me to place a question mark on these specific content. Also, the author empathically states  that he is not in agreement with Alister Crowley on some of the specifics, yet the content of the book and the rituals described therein is heavily laced with a Crowley influence. I am not trying to judge any source of information or person, just trying to make sense of my thoughts on this matter.  Any comments???  Please note, I have placed the same question on other occult related groups as well.
I have not read anything by this author. I am always a little suspicious of American authors as they tend to lean towards 'New Age' and popularist movements. I have done some research on him and he does seem to have been a very talented person and was teaching Magickal practices for over 10 years.

I was schooled in the ways of The Hermetic Order of The Golden Dawn, and follow, sometimes loosely, the teaching of Crowley and Regarde. It must be understood that Crowley, though greatly respected, was not well liked, and earned the unenviable title of the most evil man in the world. Crowley was certainly taught by some great names in Magick, I don't know where Kraig learned his trade, and often Magical primers are plagiarised from another's work.
All I can say is that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Follow your instincts, if it doesn't feel right leave it alone. Remember, for magick to work you need imagination and intention, if either are lacking, or if the intention is wrong then there will be either no result, or a wrong result. Ritual is important, but intention is paramount.
I know this reply is somewhat vague and probably unhelpful, but magick is about belief and trust. If you trust your source and believe it is right for you, so it is. There is no room for doubt in magick.
What is important is not the right doctrine but the attainment of the true experience. It is giving up believing in belief.
[-]
  •
Share this post on :