RegisterLogin with Google+

Modern Magick

Hi Guys. I have been reading a book titled 'Modern Magick' by Donald Michael Kraig. I have incorporated some of the ritual material in to my own repertoire and have achieved results. However, I have a instinctual disagreement (for lack of a better word) on some of the other content. I have no facts to make my 'disagreement' valid , only instinct telling me to place a question mark on these specific content. Also, the author empathically states  that he is not in agreement with Alister Crowley on some of the specifics, yet the content of the book and the rituals described therein is heavily laced with a Crowley influence. I am not trying to judge any source of information or person, just trying to make sense of my thoughts on this matter.  Any comments???  Please note, I have placed the same question on other occult related groups as well.
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
commentsComments / Replies (3)
(05-19-2020, 10:00 PM)LizardKing Wrote: Hi Guys. I have been reading a book titled 'Modern Magick' by Donald Michael Kraig. I have incorporated some of the ritual material in to my own repertoire and have achieved results. However, I have a instinctual disagreement (for lack of a better word) on some of the other content. I have no facts to make my 'disagreement' valid , only instinct telling me to place a question mark on these specific content. Also, the author empathically states  that he is not in agreement with Alister Crowley on some of the specifics, yet the content of the book and the rituals described therein is heavily laced with a Crowley influence. I am not trying to judge any source of information or person, just trying to make sense of my thoughts on this matter.  Any comments???  Please note, I have placed the same question on other occult related groups as well.
I have not read anything by this author. I am always a little suspicious of American authors as they tend to lean towards 'New Age' and popularist movements. I have done some research on him and he does seem to have been a very talented person and was teaching Magickal practices for over 10 years.

I was schooled in the ways of The Hermetic Order of The Golden Dawn, and follow, sometimes loosely, the teaching of Crowley and Regarde. It must be understood that Crowley, though greatly respected, was not well liked, and earned the unenviable title of the most evil man in the world. Crowley was certainly taught by some great names in Magick, I don't know where Kraig learned his trade, and often Magical primers are plagiarised from another's work.
All I can say is that the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Follow your instincts, if it doesn't feel right leave it alone. Remember, for magick to work you need imagination and intention, if either are lacking, or if the intention is wrong then there will be either no result, or a wrong result. Ritual is important, but intention is paramount.
I know this reply is somewhat vague and probably unhelpful, but magick is about belief and trust. If you trust your source and believe it is right for you, so it is. There is no room for doubt in magick.
What is important is not the right doctrine but the attainment of the true experience. It is giving up believing in belief.
[-] The following 2 users Like johngefnir's post:
  • Gerhard Botha, Osagiede
Share this post on :
Hi John

I really enjoy your posts , from the beginning and we been around a little.

the question of Initiation come up?

there is a lot of info out there and i feel some magickal practices without proper training and preparation can be harmful or even dangerous to a new person .

sorry little of topic

pp
Light, Life and Love
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
Hi Gerhard, we have been around some time haven't we.
You are right, practicing magick without the proper preparation or instruction can be disastrous! At best it won't work, at worst you get the wrong result or the result will cause pain, suffering and some kind of damage to the would-be magician.
There are many ‘Magickal’ schools and institutions all round the world, ranging from Hermetic Orders (The Golden Dawn and Rosecrutions being the most well known) through witchcraft to Satanic Churches (Anton le Vey started the most famous Church of Satan in America). All these institutions use a form of Magick.
Magick itself is a natural energy, there is no such thing as black or white magick, There is just Magick. Whether it is used for good or ill depends entirely on the will of the Magician.
When someone joins one of the mainstream Magickal organisations they have some basic things to learn, with the Golden Dawn it is the main pentagram rituals. When their standard is considered good enough they are then initiated into the order and are allowed to learn other disciplines and progress through the levels or circles.
Witches covens follow a similar hierarchical system.
I don’t believe in this system as it promotes competition and can cause jealousy amongst the members. I use a very simple system in my small group. I don’t swear anyone to secrecy, or impose restrictions or ask for money. No-one wears robes or other clothing which sets them apart from everyone else. We all dress how we want to, and we have no initiation ceremony or rite. Everyone progresses at their own pace, and if they aren’t interested in something they don’t do it.
The first thing I teach is protection. Only when a member is confident and proficient in carrying out the protection rites and rituals do I introduce them to other things.
Magick is all about intent.
Like everything there are dangers involved in the practice of Magick, but as Alistair Crowley stated; Magick is the Art and Science of causing changes to occur in conscoiusness in conformity with will, and no change can be made to anything unless it is capable of making that change naturally.
So you cannot turn someone into a frog for instance, but you can hurry the process of a tadpole becoming a frog.
Most harmfull results are because of bad Karma. If someone tries to influence another to their detriment, whether the ‘spell’ works or not the harmful intent is apparent and so it effectively ‘back fires’ and bad Karma follows. Of course this may not be in a current lifetime, depending on the intent it could be in future incarnations.
Most magick works by changing our perceptions. You cannot change how another person looks or behaves by magick, but you can change how you see them.
The energies of nature exist in all things, all solid matter is made of atoms, sub-atomic particles, below this level is pure energy. At the this level of pure energy, there is no solid matter, here everything is connected by threads of energy.
Magick is the control and manipulation of these threads of energy, this energy exists on all levels and planes, so creating changes to these energy threads causes effects to occur within the physical plane.
Magic allows you to alter this energy reality to bring about changes in the material reality, conversely altering your material worlds causes changes to the energy reality.
In order to work with the energies in a magickal way you must be able to visualise, and it is advantagious to have other world contacts, these will help you to understand what is good and beneficial and what isn’t. The main reason people have problems is that they work with the wrong entities, some work with Demons. If you make allegiances with demonic forces the control will be essentially evil and dangerous. There are those who can control and bind Demons to do their will, but one day the Demon will free itself and real trouble will follow.
This is why my little group works on a spiritual link through our familiar architypes, I teach my students to set protection on both sides of the veil. I have had to ‘rescue’ a couple who have got themselves into trouble, but generally if you practice with a good heart and a clean intent no harm will come to you.
To perform effective magic, you need to perfect your visualization skills and train your mind to think in a different way. Magic is based on the principle of ‘As Above, So Below,’ this may be taken to mean that which exists on the spiritual level also exists on the physical level. Magic is about responsibility, so ensure that your magic comes from a desire to create harmony. Magic is about learning to control forces within yourself.
There are three basic ingredients in Magic. Desire, Form and Manifestation, you must want something with a real desire/need in order to end up with it on this level. Need is expressed as an idea in your imagination, define your imaginings with clarity and precision, only then can your desire manifest on the physical level.
The Ten Laws of Magic
1. What one gives Magickal Energy, is also received.
2. Magical Energy follows thought and emotion.
3. Thought and emotion creates existence.
4. Magical Energy is the Cause and Effect.
5. All things contradictory are in fact, complimentary.
6. Magical Energy is directed by the Will.
7. Magical Energy flows through the shortest path.
8. All levels of Creation are affected by thought and emotion.
9. Thought and emotion are the voices of Spirits.
10. Magic works in silence.
If Magic is an art form, then the basics of the magicians art can be learnt, real mastery comes from practice or natural talent. But like any other art form, some people will be more adept at Magic than others. Magic is Desire, Form and Manifestation.
If all things are connected then we are all part of the entire spectrum of creation, this Earth we live upon, the Universe, in which the earth and the planets inhabit, and all that it contains. It in turn is a part of us all, then Magic comes not only from within but also from without. Magic, therefore becomes a four fold act, Desire can be trained, Form can be harnessed, Harmony, with self and the Universe can be achieved, Manifestation becomes a reality. Magic, is then mastery of self, and the achievement of harmony.
What is important is not the right doctrine but the attainment of the true experience. It is giving up believing in belief.
[-] The following 3 users Like johngefnir's post:
  • Ash567, Gerhard Botha, LizardKing
Share this post on :