Let's see what can planets teach us.
In astrology the sun and the moon are also called planets, probably because the view of the sky from earth, shows all planets moving across the sky ( refer to my topic "The basics of astrology topic" ).

Movement of planets are called TRANSIT.
All planets don't transit the zodiac at the same speed. The sun takes 1 year to transit the whole zodiac and the moon takes a month only, some planets like Neptune and Pluto takes very long, a lot of years to complete the zodiac circle, they take years. All planets goes through the zodiacal signs as they transit.

Here below the position the planets will take at a given time this year (2012):
  • May 15, 2012 to May 18, 2012 = Moon in Aries
  • Apr 19, 2012 to May 20, 2012 = Sun in Taurus
  • May 8, 2012 to May 24, 2012 = Mercury in Taurus
  • Apr 3, 2012 to Aug 7, 2012 = Venus in Gemini
  • Nov 10, 2011 to Jul 3, 2012 = Mars in Virgo
  • Jun 4, 2011 to Jun 11, 2012 = Jupiter in Taurus
  • Jul 21, 2010 to Oct 5, 2012 = Saturn in Libra
  • Mar 11, 2011 to May 15, 2018 = Uranus in Aries
  • Feb 3, 2012 to Mar 30, 2025 = Neptune in Pisces
  • Nov 26, 2008 to Mar 23, 2023 = Pluto in Capricorn
You can understand why astrologers uses our date of birth to tell about us, since at the time of our birth, the position that planets in the zodiac affect our nature during our entire life on earth, the vices and virtues you will have are known already that day even ( but you can change this too, I'll explain later).
So from list of planets position I've given above, you can tell already that people who are going to be born today have the planet sun positioned in Taurus sign, the planet moon in Aries sign, the planet mercury in Taurus sign.

People are only told about their zodiacal sign, they only know the sign in which the sun was at the time of their birth. But the position of other planets are also a bonus to know if we need to go any further about knowing our nature. It's from the Chart or horoscope that you will find out the position of all the planets at the time of your birth. You might want to know what do planets do when positioned in a particular sign? I'll deal with that question later, or else I won't make myself understood at all Big Grin to stranger in astrology.

Let me clear the meaning of planets first.
Planets are the solid form of the invisible world ( execpt earth).
It's said that before the 18th cunturies, astrologers used to only consider 7 planets, visible them at the time.
it's only later with the evolution of our planet, Pluto and uranus came into play.

So here's in short what the 7 planets means:
They are the visible form of the invisible worlds or plan of existance. earth being already a visible part is not listed.

The sun is the divine world.
The moon is the lower world.
mercury and Jupiter are 2 aspects of the mental world, one lower and the other higher.
mars and Venus are the 2 opposit forces of the astral world. One male and the other female (yin yang)
Saturn is the etheric world.

So in your chart of birth, see where are positioned the planets, it could be that your planet Mars is in Gemini at the time of your birth. There you have more info about your nature beside what you already know about your sign.

Here's an example of what you could be if you have mars in Gemini sign.
Mentally and physically you are the busy, "little bee". You are constantly in motion with many and various activities, usually several at a time. You are happiest when busy and you hate boredom. Your mind is alert, active, and constantly seeking to learn more. etc..

Gemin sign is a air sign, and Mars is the mental world. Air is translated as thoughts too. So it's obviours that you
show a lot of activities in your mind, a very very busy mind. A mind on fire Big Grin .

How to know where all the planets were positioned at the time of the birth?

It's quite simply nowadays, they are many website out there, give you a free Natal chart or horoscope.
they use a web application that does all the calculation for you and displays your birth chart.
you can use the following site to do so : http://www.alwaysastrology.com/birth-cha...lator.html
enter your date of birth, time of birth if you know it, city of birth and click next.
It will give you your birth chart, something that looks like this (That is not me ):

[Image: jane-addams-sample-birth-chart-1.jpg]

And from that, you should see where all the planets were when you were born.
In that random example above image, you can see that that person is Virgo sign. because the sun planet was in Virgo sign. his Jupiter planet was Leo sign. His mars planet in capricorn sign, ok you can read the rest.
The better you know symbols of astrogoly, the better it's easy to read the chart.

So to help you with symboles here are thier meaning.

Sign symbols
[Image: Astro_signs.gif]

And planets symbols
[Image: planetssigns.gif]

Love and light to all