I personally relate with the analogies given in this post, which is why I find them to be profoundly insightful.

I have also experienced these chilling colds during my meditation practices for several times (in fact, for most of the time), and it always seemed to baffle me how come I was feeling so cold even in a hot sunny weather! Smile But with the explanations provided in this post, I now realize that that problem may be due to the intense mental focus I experience during meditation, which leaves absolutely no room for distractions or emotional relaxation. This can get very tedious sometimes, especially if it is done over and over.

It is for this reason why I also support the idea that it is good for all intense meditators to occasionally take a few moments to relax and take it easy! Wink Don't be so harsh on yourself by incessantly pounding your mind with sharp thoughts and deliberately depriving yourself of all kinds of pleasures. You may just end up feeling lifeless despite all your lofty ideals. After all, what is better for you: living life or thinking about life?

Now, as far as the relationship between "inner and outer temperatures" are concerned, I tend to believe that this may also apply in the reverse. What I mean is that the outer temperature (i.e. the outside weather) may also affect the inner tempereature (i.e. the mood), although to a very limited degree. The reason I am saying this is because I often find my feeling capacity greatly diminished during winter seasons than say during summers. Also, I find it extremely difficult to maintain a thoughtful mindset during hot seasons than I do during cold seasons. This is what I personally experience, and I have strong suspicions that I may not be the only one feeling this way.

This dynamic can even be observed at work in various customs and traditions of people around the globe. For instance, natives of northern hemispheres (especially those in the Scandinavia where it is almost always cold) tend to be very logical minded, but they often feel emotionally very cold to an outsider. Also, when living with the natives of southern hemispheres (especially those around the equator where it is almost always hot), one can't help feeling their emotional vibrancy and vitality, although they tend to be a bit more lacking in term of intellectual productivity. So it seems to makes sense to me in arguing that there must be some kind of relationship between temperature and the mood of people (both individually and collectively). And if the outer temperature can have such an effect on us, so much more can the inner temperature.

Finally, it would be very unfortunate and counterproductive for someone to use the idea in this topic as a basis for drawing negative clichés about other people instead of viewing it only as a tip for understanding and better relating with individuals or cultures of a different polarity than their own. This is not some unchangeable law written in stone, but is simply a general observation that is also subjected to exceptions like any rule, and can be overriden by other more powerful influences.