RegisterLogin with Google+

what is to you, the difference between a prayer and a meditation?

What is in your opinion, the difference between a prayer and a meditation?
A meditation is a trip to the space between the sun and earth. Where there is No days no nights, no noise, no rain, no wind, no earth force of attraction, but just peace, just light, just silence, just freedom. Would you Join me in this trip?

M. Krya
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
commentsComments / Replies (7)
I was taught that prayer is your direct line of communication to whom ever (in this instance God) you are praying to. i have found that if I meditate and actually bring my chaotic mind to rest before prayer (need not be a long meditation), that the feeling of being one with God or the peace I need to feel his healing is far more noticable than trying to pray with a chaotic mind. with this I do not mean that your emergancy prayer in a situation will not be heard or forfilled. I am talking bout the end of the day or the morning prayer - i.e. the time you put aside to spend with God.
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
This is a quite interesting question I would say. IMO (In My Opinion), I feel that meditation is more about making my mind still so that I can be able to attune to higher and higher spiritual frequencies where true knowledge and insights about existence can be reached. It is common sense that this must be done in a proper way to avoid anything to backfire. Meditation being a process of receiving, you may not like the kind of energies you will be receiving if you engaged in meditation in the wrong way or for with the wrong motivation.

As far as prayer is concerned, I believe it is what its name suggest: asking for assistance or courage when dealing with difficult times, conditions or situations. And the only entity (for the lack of a better term) that we are entitled to pray to and expect an answer is our own higher selves, which is that divine part within each one of us (and which are the different extensions of the one eternal Spirit). AS LONG AS you are aligned with its energies and purpose (through the way you live your life), it is quite reasonable to expect some kind of answer from it. But you must be very attentive, because those answers do not usually come in an obvious or spectacular ways you would expect but rather in a subtle and synchronistic way. Your higher self intimately knows EVERYTHING your body and soul need at all time and it shall provide you with those things if they will not constitute an obstacle to your spiritual evolution.

Apart from Higher self, one can also pray for assistance to other spiritually elevated beings inhabiting higher realms (people such as saints, avatars, spiritual masters, etc.). But what must be well understood is that those beings are under no obligation to grant any of your prayers, not just because they have many things to do on their own, but also because they must first perceive you as someone who is spiritually worthy of their assistance. Someone who have a completely mundane lifestyle or whose prayer is entirely selfish and meant to serve himself (or his family) alone should expect no help whatsoever from those higher beings. His prayer will be totally disregarded irrespective of whatever sweet and flattering words it contains, for these beings live in a level of consciousness where they can clearly perceive not only your spoken words but also read your mind and intention as if they were an open book! So do not waste your time in praying to saints or spiritual masters if your prayers are selfish and ill motivated.

If you have an attitude of a begger on a street while praying to those higher beings (as many religious people are conditioned to behave in their prayers), you may casually receive a "coin" or two every now and then from a light being passing by who feel pity for your misery (or who is annoyed by your incessant beggings), but rest assured that such kinds of handouts will NEVER help you in any significant way, let alone end your problems permanently. This is why it is best to take charge of your life and be a spiritually aware and empowered person because only then you can be able to fend for yourself and you will you even be receiving plenty of help from light beings (even when you did not consciously ask for it), because they value your spiritual potential and therefore they rush to help you actualize that potential so you can be an asset to their cause.
Mystery creates wonder. Wonder produces curiosity. Curiosity raises questions. Questions lead to answers.
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
In a prayer, we talk to God, or higher beings. In meditation we talk to God through our mind.

Sent from my GT-S5301 using Tapatalk
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
Thank you for this post John Ly. Hard post for me but true, for me because the beggar is me, and i did cry and pray and begged, went tough a massive battle, to get nothing. Try manipulation, promises , word of beauty, cry some more.... nothing. Then it hit me, I must come inline , i have to change, i have to let go... and as soon as i let go off my request i find peace and reserved even help to change. i have a few different kind off praying attitude now. One it to think about what i am praying before i pray, a also have just a prayer that is: a talking truthful about my problems and feeling to receive help to change what is not inline, that's all, and the key is true fullness here. I think faith in prayer is important.

meditation for me is also a stilling off the mind, i also receive a lot off energy in meditation, the stiller i get, the more powerful is the vibration. i personally find more knowledge and understanding in meditation then any other practice, suddenly i just understand or know.

thank you
Light, Life and Love
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
I agree completely with John Ly's post #3.
Prayer we do the main talking.
Meditation we listen.
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
About 500 words from you, John_Ly and 9 words from Skytiger.
In yours John, I found depth of meaning; I could find pleasing explanation. Then, at the end, Skytiger made it so succinct.
But I went back again to yours John.
So, thank you both.
I am a Spiritual Being having a Human Experience
[-]
  •
Share this post on :
John brings many good points forward, but I feel that before we can really open this post for discussion we must understand the various types of meditation. Meditation without purpose is called day dreaming!
When I meditate it is for a purpose, I 'journey' to the place where my teacher. guide, architype can be found, this may be to gain information, knowledge, energy, advice, protection to name but a few.
In this altered state of conciousness which is attained during 'serious' meditation it is easier to commune with the higher worlds, and therefore easier to commune with the Godhead. We are all joined to the Godhead, or creator spirit, as we are all part of it and never separated from it. When we communicate in this manner we can be part of the solution, not the problem, and often the answer will manifest itself seemingly spontainiously because we are in the 'higher energy' and can feel that someone is listening and taking part in the dialogue because we are talking spirit to spirit.
What do most people say when praying? Help me, protect me, make things right, you may as well be talking to your bank manager or MP! and how do you know anyone is listening? You have to believe and have faith.
Prayer is taught by priests, communication is taught by mystics and adepts. We all have the ability to change things, but first we must change ourselves.
What is important is not the right doctrine but the attainment of the true experience. It is giving up believing in belief.
[-]
  •
Share this post on :